Goodluck Jonathan appears to have totally jettison his rumoured presidential ambition under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the former president has travelled out of the country amid heightening political activities in the party.
PlatinumPost reports that a Fulani group had a few days aho purchased N100million APC nomination and expression of interest forms for the Bayelsa-born Jonathan, but was rejected by the ex-President.
In a post on his official Facebook page on Saturday, Jonathan revealed that he is currently out of the country for non-political engagements.
He said : “This afternoon, I joined the families of Sir Paul Edor Obi and Mr. Nick Lander at the marriage ceremony of their children, Winston Obi and Rose Lander which was consecrated at the Jesuit Church of Immaculate Conception, Mayfair, London, United Kingdom.
“May God’s grace and blessings dwell with the couple and may they have a happy and successful marriage.”
Meanwhile, the ruling APC has confirmed the withdrawal of some aspirants from the 2023 presidential race, even as the also announced that the screening of the 28 presidential candidates who submitted their nomination forms have been shifted to May 23.
This was made known in a statement by APC National Organising Secretary, Sulaiman Argungu, on Saturday.
Argungu disclosed that the clarification became necessary after the party was inundated with calls and messages by worried aspirants and delegates, who wanted to know why the presidential category was left out of the weekend’s two-day exercise.
“The screening for the presidential aspirants, we have so far 28 presidential aspirants.
“As you are all aware, some aspirants have started withdrawing their aspirations. By God’s grace, on 23rd of this month, those who are left will be screened properly,” he said.