Connect with us

International

Couple electrocuted to death while trying to follow dangerous TikTok trend

Published

on

 Couple electrocuted to death while trying to follow dangerous TikTok trend

A TikTok trend where people use a high voltage to make a lightening-like design on wood, has claimed the lives of two people in Wisconsin.

Tanya Rodriguez, 44, and James Carolfi, 52, , who have been described as a couple in local reporting, were killed while practicing fractal wood burning in the garage of their home in Rozellville, Marathon County, on April 6.

Their deaths have been described as ‘accidental’ and foul play has been ruled out.

The pair were electrocuted to death before the fractal wood burning equipment started a house fire, according to Sheriff’s Deputy Chad Billeb.

READ ALSO:TikTok announces updated community guidelines

Investigators in the case originally viewed the fire as ‘suspicious.’ Officials now say that foul play is not suspected in the case
Investigators in the case originally viewed the fire as ‘suspicious.’ Officials now say that foul play is not suspected in the case

Investigators in the case originally felt that the fire was suspicious, reports The Wausau Daily Herald.

Another Wisconsin man was killed while practicing a version of fractal burning in 2020. In Britain, the practice is not promoted by the Association of Woodturners because of a lack of safety standards
Another Wisconsin man was killed while practicing a version of fractal burning in 2020. In Britain, the practice is not promoted by the Association of Woodturners because of a lack of safety standards

While in Canada, the Electrical Safety Authority of Ontario’s Dr. Joel Moody said of fractal burning, ‘It’s extremely dangerous to use these devices. These high energy sources, built from a microwave transformer or similar component, create a very real hazard. The exposure to high sources of electricity can cause severe injury and even death’

The American Association of Woodturners said that 33 people have died as a result of fractal burning. The group’s safety committee banned the activity following the death of a woodworker in Washington State in 2017.

 

(DAILY MAIL)

@nnn.ng

Subscribe to Our VIP Newsletter



© 2018- 2022 PlatinumPost Multimedia Limited. All Rights Reserved.

JoinOurWhatsAppChannel

- Website Designed By DEBORIAN.COM, a Nigerian Web Designer and Web Developer -