Applicants in Delta State whose names were removed from employment lists of 2015 approved by the former governor of the state, Emmanuel Uduaghan, are currently in court with the state governor, Ifeanyi Okowa.
Expectedly, those who were thrown out of the lists for what they described as” frivolous reasons and alleged favouritism ,” as over 5,000 have resorted to legal battles to press home their” rights”as Deltans after series of their road shows protest met brick walls in the state.
The move is said to be generating tension in some quarters.
Recall that the state governor, after a thorough review of the lists via panel report, delisted some of the applicants describing it as blouted with irregularities, laced with heavy burden of frauds, disclosing that the state cannot afford payment of salaries if they all are employed.
READ ALSO : Prominent Delta 2023 governorship aspirant dies
PlatinumPost recalls that Uduaghan had in 2015 approved for employment no fewer than 427 applicants deemed necessary for employment in the state for various positions.
But speaking to journalists on the issue, Governor I Okowa said that” We have careful studied the lists and wr have found lots of irregularities laced with frudulent processes .
“The State cannot afford to absorb these aplicants into the employment scheme of Delta State Government because the dwindling economy. We set up a panel with a mandate and it summited its report which had been Implemented with few persons employed. ”
But the applicants while praying that the Industrial Court sitting at Okpanam Community near Asaba Delta State to compel Governor Ifeanyi Okowa to revert to the lists of his predecessor Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan, last Friday told the court that they were unjustly thrown out of the lists for favouritism and nepotism, describing the act as painful and unfortunate.
The plaintiffs, Odebala Erhomune: Erhadje Clement Onovughevu and Victor Asani alleged that many of the applicants who were employed by Governor Okowa are mainly Ika speaking persons who did not apply for any of the positions as well as had their names shortlisted along side with them in 2015, regretting that the process of employing the persons was completely based on ethnicity and favouritism.
They said” We have protested against this inhuman activities, favouritism, nepotism and godfatherism to no avail and we are in court today to plead with the court to compel Governor Ifeanyi Okowa to revert to the lists approved by his predecessor Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan. We are Jobless persons at present and we are hungry without something”
The presiding Judge, Justice John Tagiame, however adjourned the case for ruling till February 2022, warning that the court will not in any way tolerate delay of proceedings.