The popular Ogbo-gonogo market in Asaba, Oshimili South Local Government Area of Delta state was engulfed by fire earlier today.
According to an eyewitness over 20 shops at the old market were consumed in the early morning inferno which lasted for over five hours before the arrival of the state fire service fighters.
PlatinumPost correspondent who visited the scene observed traders lamenting counting theirs loses, as the fire which started around 8 am on Tuesday razed shops and goods along the Nnebisi road, though no life was lost.
Our correspondent further gathered that the first fire service vehicle that came to rescue ran out of the water while the fire was still raging on, wrecking more havoc.
The cause of the fire was still sketchy as at the time of the report, but sources around the market said it was not unconnected to an electrical fault.
A widow, simply identified as Mrs Glory whose her shop was burnt to nothing, “I was still at home preparing for the market when they called me that fire has borne down my shop.
“I quickly rushed to the Ogbogonogo and saw my shop burnt down. All the clothes, my three industrial sewing machines, two generator set and others were totally burnt.
“Life has tired me. I am a widow with two children, where do you want me to start from” she wept.
When contacted the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Onome novwakpoyeya, said the police and personnel of the state fire service were able to calm the situation.
“Thanked God no life was lost, the police and fire service personnel were able to ensure the fire did not escalate to the new site. For now, we are yet ascertained the possible cause of the fire.